Summer is rapidly approaching (2018 is already almost halfway over!) and with summer, we all knows what comes along with that- beaches, BBQs, and the good ol’ pool parties! As we get geared for the summer season, it is the time to maintain our pools as best as possible and this involves the classic pool cover to keep all of that irritating debris from falling into your pool when it’s not in use. Let’s take a look at some of the best-rated, above ground pool covers of 2018. We’re going to get started from the best above ground pool winter cover with the least expensive to the more pricey options; let’s get started!
List of Above Ground Swimming Pool Covers in 2018
- 1 List of Above Ground Swimming Pool Covers in 2018
- 2 Intex 15-Foot Round Easy Set Pool Cover
- 2.1 Blue Wave Gold 15-Year 18-ft x 34-ft Oval Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
- 2.2 Blue Wave Silver 12-Year 24-ft Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
- 2.3 Blue Wave Bronze 8-Year 24-ft Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
- 2.4 Robelle 3521-4 Super Winter Cover for 21-Foot Round Above-Ground Swimming Pools
Product Size Material Type Foot Round Easy Set Pool Cover 15-Foot Plastic Oval Above Ground Pool Winter Cover 18 by 34-Feet Tear resistant material 12-Year 24-ft Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover 24-Feet Woven solid material. 8-Year 24-ft Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover 24-Feet Cover material 21-Foot Round Above-Ground Swimming Pools 21’ Round Pool Strongest polyethylene material
Intex 15-Foot Round Easy Set Pool Cover
This is a pretty inexpensive option, costing about $20 bucks on Amazon, after tax; the cover size of the Intex is approximately 27 feet diameter and comes with a round, blue solid cover, which effectively keeps debris and water out. Additional features of the Intex also include a steel cable and winch, not to mention a one year guarantee and an eight year warranty from the manufacturer. As mentioned, the cover is approximately 27-feet in diameter, made to fit round pools measuring approximately 24-feet in diameter.
- The Intex is very reasonable in price, which is a bonus; it also fits incredibly well with little to no slippage (even on those inflatable pools it is a very snug fit).
- Also, because it fits so snug, you may need two people to get it on the pool correctly.
- One of the major downsides about this particular cover is that it traps the heat in the pool; naturally, this would be a benefit in the cooler seasons but during the summer, when it’s 90+ degrees, you may not want to step into a heated pool.
Blue Wave Gold 15-Year 18-ft x 34-ft Oval Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
The Blue Wave pool cover costs about $108.00 on Amazon (for this particular size) and is ideal for pools whose dimensions are 18 feet x 34 feet, and the cover size is 22 feet x 38 feet (although these dimensions can vary); the Blue Wave effectively protects against sun, snow, ice and wind, with a four foot overlap to ensure there is no stretching or ripping of the cover while it is on the pool. Additional features of the Blue Wave are the winch tightener and heavy-duty cable, which comes included.
- Although this particular model is a bit pricier than some, the Blue Wave is incredibly durable and virtually slip-proof, so there are no worries about it coming off of your pool.
- Another huge plus for this model is that it holds up amazingly well throughout the winter, so need to worry about having to purchase another cover as soon as the weather breaks!
- The only real con about this particular model is that some of the grommets can come off kind of easily if you don’t secure the cover tightly enough.
Blue Wave Silver 12-Year 24-ft Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
The Blue Wave Silver is essentially the cousin of the Blue Wave Gold that we reviewed above and has various features including a cover that is approximately 28 feet in size and can be used for a pool size of up to 24 feet. Likes its counterpart, the Blue Wave Silver will protect against sun, snow, ice and wind, with a four foot overlap to ensure there is no stretching or ripping; there is also a heavy duty cable and winch tightener included with this cover as well.
- The Blue Wave Silver is extremely easy to put on your pool and, depending on how harsh of a winter you have, is fairly durable for a couple of seasons.
- For the price, it is sturdy and reliable for the most part.
- The material is relatively poorly made and more so resembles a trap more than anything else; over time, the cover can become more porous, meaning that more water can possibly seep through the cover (which defeats the purpose of having one, no)? Although it advertises a 12-year use out of the cover, I would not necessarily depend on that.
Blue Wave Bronze 8-Year 24-ft Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
The last of the Blue Wave family is the bronze 24 foot above ground pool winter cover; the Blue Wave Bronze cover has various features including a cover that is approximately 28 feet in size and can be used for a pool size of up to 24 feet. Likes its counterpart, the Blue Wave Silver will protect against sun, snow, ice and wind, with a four foot overlap to ensure there is no stretching or ripping; there is also a heavy duty cable and winch tightener included with this cover as well.
The major differences (although they are all incredibly similar) are that the Gold has 15 year shelf life, the Silver a 12 year, and the Bronze an 8 year shelf life.
- The price of the Blue Wave Bronze is pretty reasonable- costing only $42.00 on Amazon for the 24-foot option.
- It does hold up really well due to the locking mechanisms that come with it.
- It also does survive really well with freezing rain and cold temperatures so that is an additional bonus.
- The covers advertise a good shelf life; however, this is not a fact that should be 100% relied on; the warranty for this cover can be a bit on the false side as well so you definitely have to make sure that you read the fine print.
Robelle 3521-4 Super Winter Cover for 21-Foot Round Above-Ground Swimming Pools
The Robelle is a high quality pool cover that is 8 x 8 in diameter and is made from a heavy-duty polyethylene material and weighs 2.36 oz./yd2, with a four foot overlap (Includes 4 feet of extra material, making this cover easier to secure with minimal assistance). It also includes a winch and cable set which should be used to secure the cover through the reinforced grommets. There is also a 10 year warranty that comes with this particular cover so you can be assured with that fact.
- The Robelle is very easy to secure and stays on pretty well when you use the winch and cable set; the material is not very thick but it is effective in keeping debris out of your pool when it’s not in use.
- The overlap that the Robelle has is also very effective as well, with the cover being heavy enough (although it’s not that thick) to protect against any heavy gust of winds.
- The seams of the Robelle are kind of weak and can potentially come apart way too easily; the warranty that comes with this particular cover should also be taken under advisement as well, as it does not seem to be that reliable if something does, in fact, happen to your cover.
Let’s also take a look at some general questions that potential buyers may have when looking for the perfect pool cover:
Can pool covers be used year round or just strictly in the winter?
Yes, pool covers can be used year-round, not just during the winter season
When the water gets trapped on the top of the cover and freezes will it damage your pool?
Although water will get trapped on the top, typically, it will NOT damage your pool in most cases
How well does it hold up in harsh weather (i.e. ice and snow)?
The material of some of these covers are very thinly made so it may not hold up that well in bad weather, the cover can rip and/or water can get through easily.
Will it hold up in monsoon weather?
Most likely not, even though it comes with a winch and tightener, winds such as those that are in a monsoon may be too rough for the cover to not be able to rip away from the pool
- Best 32 Inch Smart Wall Mount TV 2018
- Best Lift Chair Recliner Sleeper in 2018
- Best Stainless Steel Tumbler Reviews 2018
- Best Compression Sock Aid 2018
- Best 27 Inch Wall Oven Microwave Combo 2018
- Top Choice Laser Tag Guns for Home Use 2018
- Best Keter Folding Compact Workbench Work Table With Clamps 2018
All in, you should base your decision on what brand of pool cover to purchase depending (in my opinion) on what kind of environment you reside in; for example, if you stay in South Florida, where there is prone to be hurricanes and the like, you may want to purchase a more sturdy cover to reduce the chances of the cover blowing away during harsh storms. Also, be mindful of the material since some of the seams on some covers rip fairly easily and wind up being a huge waste of money. Of the above pool covers reviewed, I would say the Robelle is an ideal choice, just make sure you read the print of the warranty good!