To be honest, I was not a fan of electric can openers – I always tended to stay with the manual ones! Not to mention that I have personal experience in dealing with those annoying electric handheld can opener that is a struggle to operate, or wind up breaking down only after a couple of uses. Nonetheless, electric can openers certainly serve their purpose- making opening those canned goods easier than ever! It is not as easy, however, to find an electric can opener as one would think; there are various brands and types out there, all ranging from cheap to pretty expensive. With that being said, let’s take a look at some of the best-rated electric can openers for arthritis on the market right now-hopefully, you’ll be able to find the perfect opener for both your needs and your budget, all just in time for that summer cooking!
List of Top Best Electric Can Openers Reviewed In 2018
Product Material Type Color Checkout Hamilton Beach 76388R Ensemble Electric Can Opener Plastic Red Cuisinart Deluxe Electric Opener Stainless Steel Steel BLACK+DECKER Spacemaker Multi-Purpose Can Opener Plastic Black Hamilton Beach 76607 Smooth Touch Can Opener Plastic Chrome West Bend 77203 Electric Can Opener Metallic -
Hamilton Beach 76388R Ensemble Electric Can Opener
The Hamilton Beach 76388R Electric Can Opener will run you about $30.00 on Amazon and comes with a bottle opener that has a cutter that is both sharp and efficient. The Hamilton Beach will be able to fit most tall and standard size cans, no matter the thickness, and also comes in a classic red colour for a sleek and stainless design that is guaranteed to fit just about any decor. This electric opener is an incredibly heavy duty and resilient, in addition to being dishwasher safe (referring to the cutting unit, which you can remove for easy clean up).
- The price is certainly reasonable, not to mention the sleek design will fit just about any décor; also, the ability to remove the cutting unit in order to wash it is also a bonus since all openers may not necessarily have the option.
- It is also pretty durable and reliable, being able to last for a number of years.
- One of the major negatives to the Hamilton Beach is that it can sometimes produce metal shavings that may fall off into your food.
Cuisinart Deluxe Electric Opener
The Cuisinart Deluxe Electric can opener is a bit more expensive than the one previously reviewed, costing about $65.00 on Amazon. The Cuisinart comes with an extra-wide, bottom heavy, base that prevents any sliding or tipping during use, (I think we are all aware of the opener sometimes sliding across the counter while you are using it and that can be incredibly annoying); there is also a release lever makes opening cans effortless and able to be done within seconds for convenience. The Cuisinart has what is called a “precision Power Cut™ blade” and also has a handy magnetic lid holder that is attached to the removable arm, making cleanup both easy and a breeze; because of this you will not have to worry about any metal shards getting in your food.
- The Cuisinart Deluxe opener is certainly very durable, being able to open the most difficult of cans.
- The sleek design will fit any kitchen as well!
- Although it is durable, unfortunately, there are some cases in which the opener does not last long at all, failing to open cans only after a couple of months.
- When spending over 60 bucks, this can certainly be disappointing.
BLACK+DECKER Spacemaker Multi-Purpose Can Opener
The Black & Decker electric can opener will cost you about $35.00 on Amazon and comes with a “power pierce cutter” that enables you to quickly remove can lids easily and effortlessly; you will no longer have to waste precious minutes trying to get a stubborn can to open! In addition to being a powerful cutter, the Black & Decker electric opener also comes with a bag cutter, bottle opener, and electric can opener with knife sharpener for additional uses. You will be able to save space on your countertop as well by attaching the electric opener to the underside of cabinets for convenient access. Counter clutter can be a hassle so this is certainly a plus! Additional features include auto shutoff so no need to worry about annoying power switches or if you forget to turn it off once you’re done.
- The Black & Decker electric opener is incredibly easy to operate and the ability to be able to mount it underneath your cabinets is an additional bonus.
- I definitely love to avoid clutter! It is also very easy to set up and can be done within minutes- the price is very reasonable as well.
The cutting blade can be a bit inconsistent, resulting in the blade slipping outside of the can during use. The design of the opener is a little flimsy as well, and not as durable as some other designs.
Hamilton Beach 76607 Smooth Touch Can Opener
The Hamilton Beach electric opener is $34.99 on Amazon (if you choose to go with the model that does not come with the kitchen scissors it will run you about $30.00) and can easily open all standard-size cans and cans with pop-top lids- I love being able to open my cans with ease, getting dinner together can already be a headache! There is a side-cutting system that removes the top and leaves a smooth edge and not those jagged edges that some openers leave. The lever is easy-opening, with an attractive design that will undoubtedly fit the décor of any kitchen. There is also stainless-steel kitchen scissors and storage slot included as well as additional features- yet again another bonus!
- The blade on the Hamilton Beach can easily remove lids with virtually no mess, so no need to worry about metal shavings or anything getting into the food.
- The price won’t break the bank either, especially if you decide to forego the kitchen scissors.
- Unfortunately, although it is highly reliable there can be some hit and misuses with the Hamilton Beach; when it works great it works great, but when it doesn’t- well, it doesn’t.
- You may run into those cans that will NOT just open- no matter how hard you try.
West Bend 77203 Electric Can Opener
The West Bend electric can opener is less than $40.00 and is a 70-watt countertop can opener that is made of plastic, chrome, and aluminium which provides a design that will look amazing in any kitchen; the sleek and durable design is able to handle virtually all kind of cans. Extra features of the West Bend opener include cord storage that is built into the opener; automatic shutoff; bottle opener; sharpener for knives, as well as a dishwasher-safe cutting accessory (this will need to be removed prior to placing in the dishwasher). There is a 1-year warranty that comes with the West Bend as well for an additional peace of mind just in case anything does go wrong with the opener.
- The design of the West Bend is sleek and will be a perfect addition to any kitchen; the price certainly won’t break the bank either.
- Unfortunately, the shelf life of the West Bend can vary- ranging from several years to several months.
- The blade can also get incredibly dull fairly quickly, which is another disappointing aspect.
Are all the cutting units removable on electric can openers?
This mainly depends on the brand but typically all of them should be removable so you are able to wash them easily
Are these openers reasonably quiet, as some of them can get quite loud?
Most of these options are fairly quiet, with the cutting noise being pretty muffled so no need to worry about the noise if you have sensitive ears.
- Best Small & Extra Large Dog Igloos House Reviews 2018
- Best Wood/Leaf Mulchers Vacuum of 2018 Reviews
- Best Priced Mini Pizzelle Makers of 2018 Reviews
- Best Automatic Closing Toilet Seats In 2018 Reviews
- Best Handheld Massagers For Knots, Athletes & Back Pain 2018 Reviews
- Best Papasan Chairs of 2018 Reviews
All in all, option #1 may be a perfect choice for you; although there is the issue of metal shavings sometimes falling into the can, this is not necessarily a major setback. You just may want to be mindful of this fact when you’re opening lids. The price is also another selling point as well; just be aware that, no matter the brand, you will always run the risk of the blade getting dull and being unable to cut. The Hamilton Beach 76388R seems to be worth it!