Are you looking to install a water softener system in your home? Even if you have no idea what it actually does or what it needs.
It is very funny when it is said that “water is hard” and people tend to think it means “physical hardness”, as in, how something feels in the hand. That misinterpretation is quite funny.
However, it means something very different.
Hard water means that the water has more content of minerals than normal.
In fact, it specifically means having more magnesium and calcium. And of course, with these minerals present in the water, its function becomes less effective.
A practical example is that of soap that doesn’t dissolve quite well in water that is hard and so, the soap does not become effective when you use it to clean. Aside from the ineffectiveness of the soap to clean, it forms films that stick to your skin.
The soap that isn’t well-dissolved forms some scales and spots, and of course, this isn’t something you want to get. The problems with hard water are endless and very annoying.
Nevertheless, just as there is the solution to every problem, you don’t have to worry too much; you have got the solution to your indissoluble water.
- A small home domestic water softener for household use is, of course, the solution. But then, another problem stares you in the face.
- And it is choosing the best water softener for city water. Well, not to worry, this review will work you through all that.
- The article gives a detailed review of the best home soft water systems reviews for you.
Best Water Softener For Home Use 2020
- 1 Best Water Softener For Home Use 2020
- 2 Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain Water Softener
- 3 Eddy Water Descaler Electronic Water Softener Systems
- 4 On The Go Portable Water Softener
- 5 Watts RV PRO-1000 Portable Water Softener
- 6 Aquios FS-220 Salt-Free Water Softener and Filtration System
- 7 Iron Pro 2 Combination Water Softener
- 8 Aquasana Whole House Water Filter
- 9 Guide To Buying The Best Water Softener 2020
- 10 FAQs on Water Softener
- 11 Best Water Softener for Washing Machine 2020
- 12 4+ Best Ion Exchange Water Softener
- 13 Salt Based Water Softener Systems 2020
- 14 4 Best Water Softener for Dishwasher 2020
When it comes to the most trusted best brand water softener in the business of water softeners, Fleck is a leading industrial player. Sure it deserves the first pick.
- This best home water softener product from the brand, the Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain Compact Water Softener is made of a poly glass tank that can measure 10 x 54 inches and a brine tank that measures 15 x 34 inches.
- The softener also has a safety float system.
Such a large water softener it is, it is made with a USB drive. This drive has instruction files such as the spec sheets, service manuals. The drive also has videos with which you can easily install and use this appliance. It uses demand regeneration to save salt and reduce wastewater.
Other features of the product
- It has a PurTest Iron Hardness, test kit, and a bypass valve with a 1-inch yoke connection.
- Its control head has a warranty of 5 years while the tank has 10 years warranty
- It’s very easy to install especially since the tank is charged fully with resin.
Sure, this electronic water softener is a deviation from the traditional ones. It comes with very unique features that are missing in some other softeners in the market. While also, some other features found in the other softeners are missing in this.
- For instance, it doesn’t make use of salt to remove hard minerals.
- Rather it uses electromagnetic waves in other to change the adhesion properties of hard minerals so that the minerals don’t rest on the surfaces of your pipes and appliances.
- This is quite an awesome option for especially plumbers as you just have to fit the coils around the water pipes.
Other features of the product
- It is very easy to install
- It is risk-free with a 12-month payback warranty
- It comes with a lifetime repair or replaces warranty
This product is the best water conditioner for the home that is rated at the 16,000-grain limit. The unit is intended for RV utilize yet you can utilize this in a little loft as this is the biggest compact model in the market. The unit accompanies a convey handle on top and in addition an extensive opening for the simple expansion of salt.
More so, you need not have this attached to an outlet or even utilize any instruments when introducing this water conditioner. The hose connector can swivel 360 degrees which makes things much more helpful.
Other features of the product
- It recovers in every 30 days
- You can use normal table salt of just 1-2 compartments with it
- It comes with water test strips to help you check if the water conditioner is working properly
No doubt, this is a topnotch best low-cost water softener for the money that ranks best for an RV. Its grains of hardness is actually rated at 10,000. And it is built with test strips that enable you to check the level of water hardness.
It isn’t just about the functionality of this softener that makes it outstanding, it is equally portable. It helps lover hardness levels. It is very powerful and effective at its work.
Other features of the product
- Its installation is easy and fast
- It has some fragile connections that may lead to leaks
Aquios FS-220 Salt-Free Water Softener and Filtration System
You will find this softener in the league of the salt-free soft water systems. And its uniqueness stems from the technology it uses to operate which is quite different from all others.
Also, it uses Siliphos which is a polyphosphate additive that helps prevent scale deposits and reduce the quantity of buildup domiciled in your appliances and pipes over a period of time. Its feel is quite different compared to hard water which is not treated, even though it doesn’t as much, remove minerals hardness from the water.
Other features of the product
- It also does the function of water filtering
- It uses a carbon block filtration which is rated at 5 microns in other to remove chlorine, sediment as well as other contaminants found in the water
- Installing the system doesn’t affect water pressure
This is the best water softener for iron and appears more preferred amongst the top picks. It is built with such an extremely huge 64,000-grain capacity. It comes with very unique features such as fine mesh resin that enables filtering iron.
Amongst many others, it is top-rated in terms of removing hardness from the water. In fact, it removes up to 75 gpg, iron up to 6-8 ppm, and even manganese up to 6 ppm. With this at least, you can bet you have such an awesome softener in this.
Other features of the product
- It is built with the Fleck 5600SXT control head
- Its LCD display is actually easy is to read
- It is built with touchpad controls that make it very easy to use
- Its resin tank is 12 by 48 inches and its brine tank is 18 by 40 inches
- It makes use of an on-demand metered system
Aquasana Whole House Water Filter
You may think it is relatively expensive to have the best whole house water conditioner, but then, you should also consider the work it does. Quite effective at house water softening, this machine also does a perfect water filter job. Not just that, it is built with a pro-grade installation kit.
- It does multiple works and common amongst them is the removal of heavy metals, chlorine, pesticides as well as other contaminants found in drinking water. It has an of 1,000,000 gallons of use or 10 years.
- Other features of the product
- It does not make use of salt
- It uses Scale Control Media (SCM) technology which makes use of water flow in other to change the structure of the hardness of the minerals.
- It is quite effective in helping to prevent scale buildup in water conditioning
Guide To Buying The Best Water Softener 2020
To avoid the troubles bad water softener can give you, you obviously need to get the real deals on water softeners; top quality. And to choose the best amongst them is such a task that is herculean to dismantle. This review has made the work quite easy for you. The buying guide here leads you on your journey of choice. It embodies the qualities you need to look out for before buying a water softener and ensure you get true quality.
In what ways do water softeners work?
You might have by now known that Minerals such as calcium and magnesium are actually positive ions. To remove these positively charged ions, the water softener would need to exchange them for something different. In most cases, low maintenance water softeners make use of sodium to replace the “hardness” minerals.
You ask, how does the exchange happen? Ok, here it is. The softener uses a means that is mostly either zeolite or resin beads. They’re actually inorganic materials with a negative charge, meaning it will magnet positively charged ions.
This is due to the fact that sodium has a weaker charge which is (Na+) compared to calcium which is (Ca+2), and magnesium which is (Mg+2), and iron which is (Fe+3), and of course, it will be removed easily through the “hardness” minerals immediately the hard water penetrates the softener tank. And when this occurs, the little sodium and water are spread into the home plumbing system of the house, while the minerals remain trapped inside.
FAQs on Water Softener
What amount of time does it take to do regeneration?
To complete the regeneration phase, it shouldn’t go beyond 2 hours. Even averagely, it is usually between 85 and 90 minutes. So you should expect less than 2 hours.
Can You get an Alternative of sodium in your water?
Sure, there is an alternative to sodium that is if you actually have strong considerations for it. Potassium chloride is a reliable alternative you can use.
But then, you need to know that this is much harder to find in the market and it is equally more expensive than salt.
Best Water Softener for Washing Machine 2020
|1||Woder WD-S-8K-DC Water Filtration System - WQA...||$99.84||Check Price|
|2||Calgon Liquid Water Softener, Laundry Detergent...||$5.34||Check Price|
|3||Calgon Liquid Water Softener, 32 fl oz Bottle,...||$28.85||Check Price|
|4||Calgon Liquid Water Softener, Brighter Clothes,...||$10.68||Check Price|
4+ Best Ion Exchange Water Softener
|1||AquaBliss High Output Universal Shower Filter with...||$34.86||Check Price|
|2||Aquasure Harmony Series Whole House Water Softener...||$489.99||Check Price|
|3||On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable 16,000 Grain RV...||$270.00||Check Price|
|4||One (1) Cubic Foot, 50 lbs, single bag, Water...||$101.14||Check Price|
The minerals trapped in the tank begin regeneration. But there is the brine tank, a secondary tank for water softeners.
- The tank is where you combine salt and water in other to create a solution known as brine.
- In the phase of the regeneration, the brine solution goes into the softener tank that contains the trapped minerals. And since, sodium ions are more present than hardness minerals, the sodium ions will now the minerals from the medium.
- In a simple term, there is the occurrence of the ion exchange, but then, it happens in the reverse.
- So, after the hardness minerals have been released, the water which contains the minerals is flushed out via the wastewater-drain.
- And after this phase of regeneration is completed, the water softener begins another process.
Salt Based Water Softener Systems 2020
You need to remember, however, that the content of the sodium used for the ion exchange cannot solely convert the soft water into saltwater. Some people are really serious about the level of their salt intake. If you fall into this category, then, think about the other best type of water softener.
Can you find a different type of water softener?
To be honest, the market isn’t only graced by traditional water softeners. There are those within the salt-free niche. And to be specific, you wouldn’t water softeners. What you can find are water descalers or water conditioners; this is their common name.
But, then, they don’t get rid of hardness minerals from water. Rather, they stop the hardness minerals from being deposited on the surface water is as scale. Such surfaces include appliances that make use of water like bathrooms, dishes, cars, and floors.
You ask, how do these water conditioners function? Well, simply put, they change properties of the chemical of the hardness minerals in other not to stick on the surfaces the water sits and then, begin to build up. Examples of these descalers include the electric and magnetic water softeners.
Best way to measure the level of your water hardness
Your municipality will help you do this, try and contact them. But then, if you intend to personally do this, then get a water test kit. Of course, you should know that the water hardness measurement unit is grains per gallon (gpg). Though, some municipalities will measure in milligrams, or parts per million (ppm) or liters. You must understand that 1 gpg equals 17.1mg/L or 17.1 ppm.
The right specification your water softener should have
It is very important you calculate the quantity of water used daily at home and also the number of grains of hardness in the water that you need to get rid of daily to be able to ascertain the grain capacity for should go for.
On average, people use 80 gallons daily. You now multiply that by the number of the people in your home with the number of your water hardness. It means that a four-member home will need the best affordable water softener that has a grain capacity of 33,000.
Types of regeneration you will see
You will see two types of regeneration that water softeners use. The first is time-initiated regeneration. The control valve (check best water softener control valve) of this one comes with a schedule that guides when regeneration will occur. By default, it occurs at 2 am and once in a week (at minimum).
The second is demand regeneration. Most modern water softener system for the house makes use of this type. Its valve gets to monitor the usage of your water so that it begins regeneration when a particular quantity of hard water will have been softened. So, the more you use the water, the more amount of time your water softener regenerates. And this type is better and more efficient than the first.
The right kind of salt you should use
Salt is of three different forms such as the crystal, pellets, and block. Pellets are usually common and less costly amongst the three.
Evaporated salt pellets: These are actually the purest at 99.9%. With this salt, water-insoluble matter in the pellet would less likely be a problem in the future because of buildup.
Solar salt: Usually domiciled in pellet and crystal forms, this is actually formed through evaporated seawater. Its purity rating is 99.6.
Rock salt: This looks more as little rocks. It is actually the least expensive of salts, but hey, you need to understand that less cost means less quality. It is actually less soluble when you compare it with the other two.
Block Salt: Oftentimes, this salt isn’t recommended even by manufacturers. The reason is simple; you have to submerge the blocks fully for you to get the needed quantity of brine solution you actually need.
4 Best Water Softener for Dishwasher 2020
|1||Lemi Shine Booster Natural Lemon Dishwasher...||$16.56||Check Price|
|2||4.4 LB Dishwasher Salt/Water Softener Salt -...||$17.99||Check Price|
|3||Finish Dishwasher Water Softener Salt For Bosch...||$39.99||Check Price|
|4||Glisten Booster and Freshener Dishwasher Detergent...||$13.04||Check Price|
|5||Finish Dishwasher Salt (11 Pounds) Recommended For...||$26.20||Check Price|
Also, May Interest You
The list is not exhausted as to the best water softener for home use is available in the market. However, what this best water softener for well water reviews helps you do is to give you the best selling water softener products that can work best for you. It is left for you to read and be properly guided in making a purchase of the best residential water softener so that you make an informed buying.